Friday, September 12, 2014

The BRCA Dilemma

I want to talk a little more about BRCA testing and what all of that means.

When I decided to be tested for a BRCA mutation I knew a few things

-I had several female relatives who had passed away at young ages from breast and ovarian cancer
-I had a cousin who had developed breast cancer and was found to carry a mutation

I was seen by the cancer genetics department and determined by a genetic counselor to be a candidate for testing.  I had the blood drawn and received my positive results about 3 weeks later.  Because we did not know if my father carried the mutation, my chance at the time of the test was a 1 in 4 chance of being positive.  Since my test was positive we now know my dad was a carrier, which means my siblings have a 50/50 shot of being positive.

Once you know you carry this mutation, the conversation starts about how to mitigate the risk of developing cancer.  Basically that means either:
-Surveillance- MRI/Mammogram every 6 months as well as Pelvic U/S and Ca125
-Surgery- Ovarian removal and bilateral mastectomies

I'm not sure many people really "get" how hard that is.


NO ONE wants to have mutilating surgery.  NO ONE.

Actually I never realized how much I loved my breasts until I realized I was going to lose them at some point really sunk in.  They've always been too big...and I hate having to buy big bras with essentially steel frames to support them.  And they've always been that way, since I was 15.

I thought maybe a reduction might be nice...but I never seriously considered it.  Much less complete mastectomy and reconstruction.

Many considered Angelina Jolie crazy to have had risk reducing surgery.

 To me she is a hero.  



And sometimes during your risk reducing surgery...they find cancer.


That's what happened to me.


In one moment I went from a Previvor to a Survivor.

So I ask you...





For me, the true silver lining is the knowledge to prevent a worse alternative.  Be it early detection or preventative surgery.  I will survive and be the first woman to have beaten ovarian cancer in my family.



No comments:

Post a Comment