Thursday, December 18, 2014

Crossing the Finish Line


Coming up to my last round of Chemo
I have to say when I was diagnosed in August hearing I would be undergoing 6 rounds of Chemotherapy over the course of the next 18 weeks...
Seemed like FOREVER.

I'm pleased to say it's almost over.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about it.

I mean I am thrilled to have gotten through it.  So happy it's over.
But it opens yet another chapter in my life.

The chapter of Survivor

Which means follow up appointments every 3 months to check for a recurrence
It means checking off "Cancer" every time I have to fill out a health related form.

Gotta say that is all hard to think about right now.

One thing I have learned as a cancer patient is to strive for 2 words everyday.

BE HAPPY

Life is just too short not to be happy.

Some days it's easy to be happy, other days I have to work at it.

About 26 years ago I was on vacation in Mexico with a good friend
 (I'm looking at you Callahan) 
We ended up surviving a category 5 hurricane.



We learned a lot from the experience
That perhaps taking your passport when you're evacuated was a better choice than say
...your make-up and curling iron.



In the midst of all of the chaos the song 
"Don't Worry..Be Happy" was popular.  
Although we rolled our eyes every time it played, while we were stuck in post hurricane Cancun, it did somehow make us feel better.




I think I can make a connection between surviving a Cat. 5 hurricane and Cancer.
Both are scary and life threatening.

However worrying doesn't do anything but make you feel bad.

 I am a master worry-er
So fighting cancer I learned to quit worrying so much and start enjoying life more



Looking forward to breaking up with my BFF Roberta the Chemo IV pump on Monday.
She's gotten a little too clingy.

Looking forward to being a SURVIVOR.








No comments:

Post a Comment