Monday, December 1, 2014

Hammer time -Chemo #5 and some random thoughts about having cancer.


Chemotherapy today, treatment #5 
Pleased to say it well, and I'm home feeling ok, just a little tired.

In my cancer center there's a main waiting room.  Where patients wait for lab work, chemo and to see physicians.

Before I had cancer I went to this waiting room to wait for my blood work and see my doctor.  This waiting room is a bit of an eye opener.  Since you see all different types of people.  Some are obviously sick, others bald but look ok, and the rest look healthy.  I distinctly remember being there before my diagnosis and thinking "This is a club I hope to never join"

yeah, I did

Well guess who's now a card carrying member?

ME!

Over the past 4 months I've learned how to pace myself, manage my time and be more positive.  Chemo sucks.  But when I sit in the waiting room now waiting for chemo, I think I am more relaxed then I was before I was diagnosed.  
I've lived one of my "worst case scenarios" and lived to tell the tale.

One thing I have noticed is that I am always reluctant to tell people what kind of cancer I have.
Frankly, it's none of their business, but more importantly people seem to look at you like ..you're already dead.
Ovarian cancer has quite the reputation.
Rightly so.
I confess I used to think that way too.
But now I know better.

My cancer was discovered early, so I have a good prognosis. 
AND even those 
who are diagnosed with advanced disease are living longer and may consider it a chronic disease, where you go in and out of remission and need further chemo.

Who knew?  
Well now I do, and you do too.

One of the other pet peeves I have about cancer is baldness.

Oh it's hard, but what's really hard is it screams
"I HAVE CANCER!"
To everyone...everywhere.

I'm a pretty open person with my friends and family.  Even co-workers as we work closely together. 

But a month or so ago I was at a work related class and was accosted by a woman who was a breast cancer survivor.  I know her heart was in the right place.  But pinning me to wall and asking loudly if "I was her SISTER" 
was uncomfortable for me and everyone else in the room.


Some bald people hate this kind of attention even more.
So tread carefully


The people I do enjoy are those who quietly come up to me in the grocery store or hobby lobby and say in a quiet voice to "Hang in there, it's going to be ok, your hair will grow back, I'm X years out and doing fine"
And then leave.
I kind of think of them as angels
reminding me, I'm going to be ok.









No comments:

Post a Comment