Sunday, November 23, 2014

We are Family...part 3 and some other interesting genetic tidbits

Getting back to my family's story....

We've discussed my grandmother and aunts.  But there is another part to our family's story.  Someone who I refer to as "The Mothership," my great grandmother Martha.

We know Martha was "The Mothership" as she had 2 husbands.

My great grandfather was Martha's 1st husband who died at age 33 (noncancer related). My grandmother was their oldest child.

Martha remarried and had more children with her 2nd husband.  A grandaughter from that family died of ovarian cancer at age 49.

Several cousins on the other side of her family have also tested BRCA 1+ for the exact same mutation that I have.

So Great Grandmother Martha was the mothership for this mutation.

Interestingly enough.. Martha lived to be 92 and never had cancer. 

I would love to know what she did right!

I have a pin of hers...but no pictures of her.



My dad had this pin in a box for years.  I still don't know how he came to have it, but I remember seeing it as a young girl and when I was an adult I asked him if I could have it and he gave it to me.  It's not particularly valuable, and I confess I didn't know until recently that Martha was my biological great grandmother.  There had been some disputes around the time my grandmother died that meant my dad didn't really talk about his grandmother very much.

Somehow I think it's fitting I ended up with her pin as well as her mutation.


Some other genetics tidbits



I was lucky enough to attend a Hereditary Cancer Patient Conference last weekend.  
So many new discoveries coming forward in the world of cancer genetics.

Several other cancer genes mutations have been identified. 
They're able to test for these more mutations in addition to  BRCA 1/ 2.

There are numerous websites dedicated to patient registries and how to talk with your family about genetics
such as: www.free-the-data.org
www.kintalk.org


One of my favorite organizations FORCE (facing our risk of cancer empowered)
also has an excellent website, message board and registry.
I am proud to be a member of the Dallas FORCE group.  I've met a terrific group of people from that group.


Looking forward to Thanksgiving with my family.  Our first in our new home in Texas. My oldest daughter is home from college and I love having everyone under one roof once again.  I'll be cooking my favorite meal for the people I love...gearing up for Chemo next week and hoping to be done by Christmas







No comments:

Post a Comment