Thursday, October 2, 2014

We Are Family...Part 2

So as I had mentioned in a previous post, my BRCA1+ was passed to me from my father.  My dad was one of 7 kids, he had 6 sisters.

 His oldest sisters were Jeanette and Evelyn

This was on Jeanette's 1st Communion probably around 1932


And just because he's so handsome my dad's HS graduation picture in 1953


Jeannette and Evelyn were the oldest daughters, when my grandmother was sick and died they took on much of the care for their younger siblings until my grandfather remarried.  

Jeannette married in 1949 and moved with her husband to western Kansas to farm.  She had 3 young daughters, the youngest of which was an infant when she discovered a lump in her breast.

The following are excerpts from her medical records:



Sadly she passed away at the age of 33.  Her daughters were 3, 5 and 7 at the time.  They remember being cared for by family, friends and neighbors during the time their mom was sick, and sought treatment as far as Texas to prevent and control the spread of her breast cancer.



Evelyn also married in 1949,  farming in the town next to where my grandparents farm located.  She had 4 children.  In 1965, when she was 38 she noticed a lump in her underarm area which her doctor felt was an infection and treated her unsuccessfully with antibiotics.  When the lump didn't resolve they performed a biopsy which showed cancer...and ultimately was diagnosed as ovarian cancer which had spread.  She had a complete physical 3 months prior to being diagnosed including a pelvic exam that was documented as normal.

Some of Evelyn's medical notes







Obviously this made a huge impact on the remaining sisters as well as my dad.  I remember my dad telling me about his sisters and mother when I was a teen.  It has always stayed with me and scared me...the same way it has frightened everyone in our family for the past 3 generations.

Now their story is mine too.



BUT

I had the knowledge to strike first.  Which will save my life.  An option my aunts and grandmother did not have.


My father's sisters also kept the records.  My Aunts Darlene and Marian have always been available to talk to, consult, give advice or even just a hug when we've needed it.

Because of them...and my cousins, I have the records to look back on.

Because of them I will survive ovarian cancer and my cousin Joann has defeated breast cancer.

I don't know why the medical community took so long to say "yes" this is a familial disease.
We've known it since 1942, in our family.

A picture of my angels who keep me strong...Jeannette and Evelyn's sisters and daughters
My aunts and cousins



This has been a post I've been thinking about for awhile.  I hope I did justice to Jeannette and Evelyn's story.  As well as the family that lived through it and continues to support each other.


And in case you haven't seen it I would highly recommend the movie
"Decoding Annie Parker"

About the discovery of the BRCA gene mutation and a family who's dealing with it...hmmm sounds familiar :)

Now available at Amazon.com







No comments:

Post a Comment